Thursday, January 20, 2011

Potato Pancake Hamburger on a Biscuit Bun


This super awesome hamburger has three components that contribute to its awesomeness:
  1. The biscuit bun
  2. The potato pancake
  3. The hamburger patty
This tender, juicy hamburger patty is complimented with a cheesy biscuit bun and with a potato pancake that'll knock your socks off. It sounds like a lot of work goes into this production, but it's actually quite simple. This is one recipe I'd consider making if I were having friends over for a casual get together.

The Biscuit Bun

Ingredients:

1 cup of biscuit mix
2/3 cup of shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend but use whatever you'd like)
2/3 cup of milk
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Sal & pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Combine all ingredients until a sticky dough is formed. You may need to add extra milk if the mix isn't coming together completely, do so at a teaspoon at a time.

Spoon discs of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Each disc should be about as big as you'd like the bun to be. The biscuits will spread out a little in the oven, but not much. Bake the biscuits for 8-7 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

Yields 5 biscuits


The Potato Pancake

I had never made or even eaten a potato pancake before this and I have to say I was somewhat intimidated by the thought of making it. Now that I have the first batch under my belt, I can honestly say it's not that big of a deal. They're easy to put together and cook quickly.

Ingredients:

1 medium sized red potato, peeled
¼ of a large onion
1 large egg
1/3 cup of biscuit mix

Shred the onion and potato using the shredding blade of a food processor or a box grater. Using 2 layers of paper towels, press all the liquid out of the onions and potatos. Beat the egg and stir in the biscuit mix in a medium bowl then add the shredded onion and potato. Spray a heated pan with cooking spray and spoon the potato mixture to make the potato pancakes. Allow the pancakes to cook for about 2 minutes on each side and then transfer them to a cookie sheet and bake at 450 degree for about 8 minutes. I was able to swap out the biscuits for the pancakes by the time I was ready to put the pancakes in the oven.

Yielded 3 pancakes.


The Hamburger Patty

I don’t like to fuss over the patties when I’m making hamburgers. I believe that the less seasonings and kneading you do to the meat, the more tender the meat will be.

To create my hamburger patty, I took ¼ of a pound of ground beef, formed it into disc and seasoned the top with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. I cooked the patty in a hot pan coated with cooking spray for 2 minutes on each side. IMPORTANT: Only flip your meat patty ONCE. If you flip it over and over again, the meat could fall apart or could dry out, and nobody likes a dry hamburger. After the patty has cooked on both sides, let it sit for a few minutes so the meat can absorb its own juices.


Now that all three components of the recipe are ready to party together, you’ll want to slice one of the biscuits in half with a serrated edged knife then stack your hamburger patty and pancake and viola! The best burger you’ve ever had. I added a slice of tomato and some fresh lettuce. Don’t bother with mustard or ketchup, this burger is delish the way it is.

1 comment: